Goal - find a clever way to discover what Spotlight has (or hasn't indexed).
I have an xls spreadsheet that has the names and emails addresses of people who attended a recent course of mine. In the past few weeks I need to search precisely which course someone attended. The person had a unique last name and so I just put the name into spotlight. Nothing found. A few minutes of digging manually confirmed the person had attended the course I expected.
- none of the contents of that file is indexed by Spotlight - tested by searching other names
- older xls files in the same folder are correctly indexed
- Searching on the filename finds the file so the file itself is found by spotlight
- Copy the column of names to a temp spreadsheet, save them and search - file find
- Rebuilding the index from scratch warmed my CPU but didn't change anything
- I've checked the simple spotlight preferences - xls spreadsheets aren't ignored
Since I don't know why its getting missed I'm concerned that other files might not get indexed properly as well.