I have a 24" Early 2009 iMac, and it has a faulty graphics card (detailed here). I'm obviously no longer under warranty or applecare, and I'd like to try to replace the part myself.

I'm unsure about how to search for and select a replacement part, however, especially since my machine is quite old so the original gfx card model is probably not available new. How can I know that any given card listed on a hardware website will work as a replacement?

(A short list of appropriate gfx card model numbers would also suffice.)

  • Ok replacing the part, might be a bit risky but i will give you all details. What graphics card do you use? AMD? Intel? NVIDIA? Commented Jan 13, 2014 at 21:24

2 Answers 2


The NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS is not available anymore, but you can try the NVIDIA GeForce GT 680, which you can find here: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-3682-KR You will also need to upgrade your RAM to support this card. The RAM I suggest is here: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/


If you are going to replace the part yourself, first you wanna make sure you buy the updated version of your graphics card. Click Here

These links might help : http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/127498-putting-new-graphics-card-into-imac.html


Hope this helps.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .