I was given a MacBook Air from my step mother because she never used it. I tried upgrading everything but every time I try to update it, it stays the same old version. Do i need to go to the store first?
It's still on OS X 10.6.8
Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
It's been a long time since I was working on 10.6.8. To my knowledge the upgrade is easier than you think. I hope the following steps are accurate and give you the requested outcome, a working OS X Mavericks (10.9).
1. Click on the little Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen.
2. A drop-down menu should appear looking like this (see below). Press
3. Then the following window should pop up (see below). Press
4. The window below should appear. In line 1 (
Mac OS X Update) you should see under version
10.9.1. (Ignore the other options for now). Make sure the blue box in front of
Mac OS X Update is ticked and all others un-ticked.
5. Finally, there are 3 buttons at the bottom of this window looking like this. Instead of 5 items (like in the image) it should say
Install 1 Item. Press this button and from there you should have clear guidance.