One of the few ways I think Windows beats the Mac is in letting the user resize a window from any edge or corner, not just from the bottom-right corner.

I haven't found any software that enables this functionality on the Mac. Does such a thing exist?

  • possible duplicate of What Window Management Options exist for OS X? – user588 Apr 6 '11 at 16:57
  • @mankoff: I checked that before I asked my question and it didn't seem to deal specifically with my issue. Now that I've learned about Afloat thanks to Aaron Lake I see that this specific feature is buried at the bottom of a longer list of features in the Afloat entry. Do what you want regarding closing this question, but my question and that one are not duplicative. – Robusto Apr 6 '11 at 17:45

Afloat, a free product by Infinite Labs, will let you resize a window by pressing + Control + Right Click. Divvy would also work, but Afloat is a free solution.

  • I tried Afloat, and it was okay; however, I then tried Flexiglass, and I prefer it. However, it does cost money ($8 on App Store), whereas Afloat is free... – user7624 Jul 5 '11 at 2:23

One of the new features that arrived in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion is the ability to resize a window from any edge.


I know you are looking specifically for edge resizing, but one option would be to use software that lets you set up predefined window sizes/locations that you can apply to a window.

For example, Divvy lets you create presets or drag your mouse against a small grid to locate the window. I'm just getting started with it but it seems useful.


Although this does not answer the OP's actual question (namely, resizing from window edges), since Afloat ended up been mentioned, I wanted to point out another app similar in purpose to Afloat is Zooom/2. It has the advantage of letting you choose the key bindings for resize (and other) behaviors it implements. It's not free, but it works. (I've used both Zooom/2 and Afloat, and have no ties whatsoever to any of the developers.)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .