There are many screen capture tools, but every tool I've tried expects from its user to click and then drag the area to capture.

Is there a tool that allows me to use the keyboard for both operations, such that I can do precise captures in a relaxed manner - without holding anything? I do not want to capture just windows, but any rectangular region.

Example of usage:

  • press hotkey to enter capture mode
  • move cursor (cross, loupe, whatever) around using mouse/pad and keyboard.
  • when I find a good starting place (top-left corner), click or press some key to enter marking state
  • now, move cursor to other corner (bottom-right) of the area I want to capture, but without holding anything! Just move cursor with the mouse or using the keyboard, as before.
  • when I find a good spot, click again or press some key to finalize capturing.

There is one such tool on Windows that worked this way: FastStone Capture

For me this is an essential feature. I simply want to have precision, without holding any buttons or keys.

  • Do you mean for example. Holding CRT+CMD Keys down to anchor one corner of a box and using the arrows keys to expand the sides of it's frame. Then another keys combinations to move the capture box around
    – markhunte
    Commented Dec 11, 2013 at 18:27
  • Ive edited my post with an example that should answer your question :)
    – ɹoƃı
    Commented Dec 12, 2013 at 8:48

3 Answers 3


The only one I know of is Snapz Pro, but there are a lot of screenshot utilities available for the Mac.

  • Thats true - Snapz Pro allows to use keyboard. However, its not that friendly - loupe is controlled by mouse and rectangular may be controlled by keys. I will wait if someone can come with some better software, until I mark this as an answer.
    – ɹoƃı
    Commented Dec 18, 2013 at 12:49
  • One more issue: if I lock my mac when SnapzPro is active, it freezes.
    – ɹoƃı
    Commented Mar 10, 2014 at 6:42

You can press command-shift-4 and use space bar to select one of your open windows to capture.

There is a good tutorial on this page.

  • I do not want just to capture windows, but any region.
    – ɹoƃı
    Commented Dec 11, 2013 at 14:28

Ive just found that new Snagit ($50) does what I need - you still need to drag a rectangle, but then you are allowed to modified it and being able to release a mouse ;)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .