I'm trying to restore my Macbook Pro (17") to factory settings, and here were the steps that I took:
- I inserted the Snow Leopard DVD.
- I turned off my Mac.
- I turned it back on while pressing the "option" key.
- It prompted me to choose either my hard drive or the DVD; I choose DVD.
- I saw a gray Apple logo in the middle of the screen, but it just freezes there.
- By freeze, I mean pressing the keys doesn't do anything.
- My Mac works perfectly. I just want to reformat it.
- 2 Hardware changes: I upgraded the memory to 8GB, and I changed my hard drive to Momentus XT SSD hybrid
Update: I blogged about the solution in details here. In a nutshell, the DVD I was using to reinstall OS X was too old for my system. So here’s the takeaway from this post which I had to spend many hours figuring out: when you want to reinstall your Mac, please make sure you use the disc that came with your system!