I'm having a problem with the new tagging feature in Mavericks and I have a feeling it might go deeper than just the tagging.
The problem is this: When tagging anything on Mavericks the Finder becomes unresponsive for anything up to 15 seconds and beach-balls. I am using a Mac Pro Mid 2010 with 16GB RAM so power is not the issue.
At first I thought the problem might have been due to having done an upgrade install of Mavericks, but after seeing tagging working fine on an upgraded Air and iMac I decided to try a clean install. Alas, the problem persisted.
Since I was installing on a DIY Fusion Drive I had created back in the early days of Mountain Lion, that became my next suspect. To "quickly" test my theory I installed Mavericks on an external slow & tiny USB drive. Zero problems. Tagging was instantaneous and no beach balls in sight.
So, it seemed likely to be one of the drives. First I tried installing Mavericks on a newly created Fusion Drive (using the same component drives; an OCR Vertex 3 and a regular WD HDD) from the Mavericks recovery partition terminal in the hope that a newer CoreStorage would fix things. Same problem.
Next I tried the drives individually, but after having installed a fresh Mavericks on both (I know, tedious) and still having the problem I feel I am running out of options. Is it my SATA controller? And why just on the tagging?
I have made a few Activity Monitor Spindumps which I'm hoping anyone with the knowledge & inclination could glean some information from.
Any help is greatly appreciated. :/ Teo
UPDATE 17 May 2014
I have now identified the source of the bug (on my system at least).
I noticed that on a completely fresh user account everything works as it should, new tags are added without hangs or even delays.
The moment I enable the "iCloud->Documents & Data" option the problem manifests: hangs occur on adding any new tags. Even more unfortunately, disabling it again does not make the issue disappear. Once enabled the system isn't working properly anymore.
My guess is that there's something buggy in the way the system is trying to check for tags across iCloud but strange that the problem remains after removing it.
Any new info/suggestions are welcome.
UPDATE 1 October 2014 This problem persists in Yosemite 10.10 GM