How to upgrade HDD to a larger one on the same Macbook, if I have:
- OS X Mountain Lion partition (Mac OS Extended) and two partitions for Windows 7 (NTFS): system (C:) and data (D:), installed via this scheme
- user profiles located on data partition
- it's Macbook Pro Late 2010
How to migrate Windows partitions after I'm done with copying OS X, re-creating partitions for Windows and a clean installation of Windows?
In a nutshell, I've done it as follows.
- in Disk Utility:
- shrink OS X partition
- add a partition for Bootcamp of size I need, format it as FAT
- again shrink OS X partition
- mark the rest as free space
- boot from Windows installation DVD
- with Windows Setup, format unoccupied space as NTFS partition; format Bootcamp partition as NTFS
- proceed to installing Windows on Bootcamp partition
- Bootcamp Assistant not used at all; 600MB Recovery partition not deleted as it wasn't there at any stage
- on new HDD, I allocated more space than before for each of the partitions (OS X, Windows System, Windows Data), both to make sure there's more user space, and to make cloning easier (as making system partitions equally sized on new and old HDD is a challenge in itself)
Now, what I tried to migrate Windows partitions:
- for D:, manually copy all files (except system folders) from old disk to the new one
- for C:, tried cloning with tools:
- WinClone 3.7: results in "File: \Boot\BCD, Status: 0xc0000225", no matter if I choose "Replace BCD" or "Don't replace BCD"
- GParted: results in "Missing File System"
Immediately after WinClone with "Don't replace BCD", I see rather strange list of volumes and partitions in DISKPART (note that my HDD is only 1TB, and there's no volumes for HDD at all):
Volume 0 D (my DVD label) UDF DVD-ROM 4481 MB Healthy Volume 1 C Removable 0 B No Media ---- # Type Size Offset Partition 1 Primary 200MB 512B Partition 2 Primary 93GB 200MB Partition 0 Extended 60GB 870GB Partition 5 Primary 259GB 1738GB Partition 4 Primary 259GB 1785GB Partition 3 Primary 875GB 1794GB Partition 6 Primary 26MB 2227GB