I own a Macbook Pro 13 2017 (2 thunderbolt ports), and I would like to disable the internal display when an external monitor is connected to it through USB-C.
I have ruled out the following
- Turn brightness all the way down in mirrored display mode: Not the best, because the GPU's framebuffer is still doing extra work on that internal display (processing power and battery affected).
- Using Clamshell mode: Again, not the best. I only got two USB-C ports, one would be taken by AC power which is a prerequisite for this mode, and another displaying to the external monitor.
- Add "niog=1" on NVRAM: Sounds OK, but still a hassle to reset NVRAM every time I want to work on the internal display.
I can think of two solutions
- Simulate what is happening to macOS on Clamshell mode without actually closing the lid.
- Simulate the Macbook on AC adapter power so I can use Clamshell mode with one USB-C port free.
I would appreciate feedback on this, it would be great to nail this issue.