OS X, formerly known as Mac OS X, is an operating system created and distributed by Apple Inc. for their Macintosh computers. Several versions have been released since the 1999 debut of Mac OS X Server 1.0. Although many people pronounce it literally as "Oh ess ex", it is in fact pronounced "Oh ess ten.", as the X in OS X is a Roman numeral for "ten". As of OS X 10.7 Lion, the "Mac" in "Mac OS X" was dropped from all marketing and promotional material, and with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, the "Mac" was dropped completely, making the current name "OS X".
This tag is for any and all questions related to OS X system software. For hardware, use mac.
There are several osx-related tags which allow you to specify your operating system version, such as:
- yosemite (OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the current release of OS X)
- mavericks (OS X 10.9 Mavericks)
- mountain-lion (OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion)
- lion (OS X 10.7 Lion)
- snow-leopard (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard)
- snow-leopard-server (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server)
- leopard (Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard)
- tiger (Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger)
- panther (Mac OS X 10.3 Panther)
- classic-mac-os (Mac OS 9 and before)
It is suggested that if you are asking questions about features of, applications included with, or possible bugs in a particular version of OS X that you add the appropriate tag from the Related list above (such as yosemite or mavericks), to allow users to easily distinguish when questions may or may not apply to their own circumstances.
- Terminal Tips and Tricks For Mac OS X
- OS X Applications you can't live without
- Mac OS X hidden features and nice tips & tricks
- Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
- Great OS X Games