OS X, previously known as Mac OS X, is an operating system created and sold by Apple Inc. for their Macintosh computers. Several versions have been released since the 1999 debut of Mac OS X Server 1.0. Although many people pronounce it literally as "Oh ess ex", it is in fact pronounced "Oh ess ten.", as the X in OS X is a Roman numeral for "ten". As of OS X 10.7 Lion, the "Mac" in "Mac OS X" was dropped from all marketing and promotional material, and with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, the "Mac" was dropped completely, making the current name "OS X".
This tag is for any and all questions related to OS X system software. For hardware, use mac.
There are several osx-related tags which allow you to specify your operating system version, such as:
- mountain-lion (OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, the current release of OS X)
- lion (OS X 10.7 Lion)
- snow-leopard (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard)
- snow-leopard-server (Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server)
- leopard (Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard)
- tiger (Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger)
- panther (Mac OS X 10.3 Panther)
- classic-mac-os (Mac OS 9 and before)
For server-related questions that aren't version specific, use osx-server.
- Terminal Tips and Tricks For Mac OS X
- OS X Applications you can't live without
- Mac OS X hidden features and nice tips & tricks
- Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts
- Great OS X Games