At times, the Gmail app for iOS can display a hard-to-remove badge. The badge corresponds to a gchat message that was received offline. The badge is considered difficult to remove due to a series of facts:
- gchat sends an 'email' to your Gmail when you receive an offline message
- gchat messages do not show up in any inbox in the Gmail app; they're only visible in the browser
- The "Chats" label does not show up in the side bar of the Gmail app, so there is no easy way to access the chats
- Searching for "label:chats" only finds chats up to June 7th. Maybe they released an update then that stopped sending chats to iOS devices?
- Being online 24/7 (for instance, using the Hangouts app) is not a good solution, as I do not want to be online 24/7.
The question is: is there any way to make this badge less annoying?
- Can you make the Chats label appear in the iOS app?
- Can you make chats not send emails when you're offline?
- Can you make chats received offline not count as unread?
My "Notifications" setting is set to "Primary Only." This affects both my iPhone and iPad.