How to install Lion as a guest OS in VirtualBox 4 running on Mountain Lion?
- Legitimate owned copy of
Install Mac OS X Lion.app
- Flash drive formatted as GUID partition, restored with
InstallESD.dmgfound and mounted from inside the Lion installer app using
- Mac mini runnning Mountain Lion (10.8.4, 16 gigs memory, i7 chip)
- VirtualBox 4.2.16 installed and running.
I have successfully installed Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint in VirtualBox many times on my Mac. In those cases I have a .iso file to feed VirtualBox when it first runs a newly created virtual machine.
Instead of a .iso file, what am I to feed VirtualBox when if first runs my newly created 'Mac OS X' virtual machine?
Using Parallels 8 in place of VirtualBox is so easy: We simply feed the
Install Mac OS X Lion.app app as the virtual machine is created. We need not even bother to choose
Show Package Contents.
I have read many articles, blog posts, and Question/Answer pages here. But none of them are helpful. They are all:
- Outmoded, for hacking older versions of Mac OS X
- Irrelevant, for hacking Mac installers to install on Windows boxes
- Old, for hacking old versions of VirtualBox that did not directly support Mac OS X guests.