Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I like the autocorrect feature, but sometimes I want to revert to the word I typed. If i backspace to the word, I see an overlay with the word as I typed it, but can't figure how to revert to it without using the mouse. Any suggestion?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 13 down vote accepted

After you've got the overlay with the previous, uncorrected spelling, you can press the down arrow key, then Return/Enter. This accepts the selected, uncorrected spelling.

One Two Three

share|improve this answer
This does not work for me. The only thing that works is one of the following annoying processes: (1) take my hand off the keyboard, move it to the mouse and position the cursor to the "X" and click; (2) backup an change the word back to the correct spelling. The program then seems to understand that it should not attempt to change the word, the simply underlines it with the squiggly red underline. –  Jeffrey Simon Jul 9 at 4:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.