I added some domains to block (127.0.0.1 mydomain.com) to my /etc/hosts file and for some reason, Safari seems to be ignoring them. I have tried disabling Safari extensions, clearing the cache (sudo dscacheutil -flushcache), and restarting Safari and the Mac altogether. Chrome respects the /etc/hosts changes, but Safari does not. Attached is a sample of my /etc/hosts file.
I am running Safari 6.0.4 with Mountain Lion 10.8.3
## # Host Database # # localhost is used to configure the loopback interface # when the system is booting. Do not change this entry. ## 127.0.0.1 localhost 255.255.255.255 broadcasthost ::1 localhost fe80::1%lo0 localhost 127.0.0.1 facebook.com