I upgraded my installation of MySQL on my Mac OS X 10.8.3 using homebrew
brew install mysql
Everything seemed to go smoothly, but...not really, as it turns out.
I cannot add a new user (neither through the command line nor through phpmyadmin. I always get the error
Error in processing request: #2006 MySQL server has gone away
I can create new databases without a problem, and I can install, for example Joomla 3.1.1 with no problems.
However, when I try to install a new extension into my Joomla installation, I get errors. For example, I get the following error when I try to install a component from NoNumber:
1062 Duplicate entry '1' for key 'PRIMARY' SQL=INSERT INTO `u5z87_extensions` (`name`,`type`,`element`,`folder`,`client_id`,`enabled`,`access`) VALUES ('plg_system_nnframework','plugin','nnframework','system','0','1','1')
Same thing for many other extensions.
I tried to start mysql with
mysql.server start --log-warnings=2
and it started with no problem
Starting MySQL SUCCESS!
I looked up issues where error #2006 were being reported and how to solve them, and they referred to modifying /etc/my.cnf but there is no /etc/my.cnf configuration file on my system, and there wasn't one in the previous installation of MySQL 5.5.29 (also installed with homebrew) and I had no problems.
brew doctor and the output is below
$ brew doctor Warning: "config" scripts exist outside your system or Homebrew directories. `./configure` scripts often look for *-config scripts to determine if software packages are installed, and what additional flags to use when compiling and linking. Having additional scripts in your path can confuse software installed via Homebrew if the config script overrides a system or Homebrew provided script of the same name. We found the following "config" scripts: /usr/local/opt/php54/bin/php-config
The output from
brew --config is also below:
$ brew --config HOMEBREW_VERSION: 0.9.4 ORIGIN: https://github.com/mxcl/homebrew HEAD: 86ce842c700a47abdc354e80cc3b0b3938ab2132 HOMEBREW_PREFIX: /usr/local HOMEBREW_CELLAR: /usr/local/Cellar CPU: 8-core 64-bit nehalem OS X: 10.8.3-x86_64 Xcode: 4.6.2 CLT: 22.214.171.124.1.1365549073 LLVM-GCC: build 2336 Clang: 4.2 build 425 X11: 2.7.4 => /opt/X11 System Ruby: 1.8.7-358 Perl: /usr/bin/perl Python: /usr/bin/python Ruby: /Users/alisamii/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p374/bin/ruby
Exploring a little further, I tried to revert to my previous install of MySQL using
brew switch mysql 5.5.29
This resulted in the following output:
$ brew switch mysql 5.5.29 Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/mysql/5.5.29 Cleaning /usr/local/Cellar/mysql/5.6.10 135 links created for /usr/local/Cellar/mysql/5.5.29
I then accessed mysql from the command line and ran status:
mysql> status -------------- mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.29, for osx10.8 (i386) using readline 5.1 Connection id: 13 Current database: Current user: alisamii@localhost SSL: Not in use Current pager: stdout Using outfile: '' Using delimiter: ; Server version: 5.6.10 Source distribution Protocol version: 10 Connection: Localhost via UNIX socket Server characterset: utf8 Db characterset: utf8 Client characterset: utf8 Conn. characterset: utf8 UNIX socket: /tmp/mysql.sock Uptime: 1 hour 56 min 24 sec
As you can see above, it reports
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.29, for osx10.8 (i386) using readline 5.1
But, it also says
Server version: 5.6.10 Source distribution
So something isn't syncing up.
Furthermore, when I show databases, I get the following output:
mysql> show databases -> ; +--------------------+ | Database | +--------------------+ | information_schema | +--------------------+ 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
But I know I have more than just an
So, somehow, it seems to me that mysql is not connecting to the right server, as phpmyadmin reports the same server information that mysql's status command reports:
Software version: 5.6.10 - Source distribution.
At this point, I am completely lost, and would really need some help.