A few days ago, Terminal.app suddenly stopped working. Whenever I open it, the little light below the icon in the dock turns on (and stays on), but no window appears. When I right-click the icon, I'm told that the application isn't responding.
What I've tried so far:
- Trying to open Terminal from another account (same result).
- Banging my head against the wall.
- Use iTerm. A black window opens, but after that I get "Application Not Responding" as well.
- Repairing permissions from Disk Utility.
The Console works fine, but all I get when I try to open a Terminal (or iTerm) instance is something like
login: USER_PROCESS: 5991 ttys008
I'm running OS X 10.8.3.
- It would seem that Activity Monitor isn't working either. When I open it, the windows appears, but the list is empty and the program freezes: "Application Not Responding" here as well.
- I can log into the machine using SSH from another machine, but when I do