Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There's a tool on OS X, and I can't remember what it is for the life of me, that will display what the menu and window IDs are of a selected tab, window, or checkbox. Can anyone refresh my memory?!

share|improve this question
Are you thinking of UI Browser ? – adayzdone Mar 7 '13 at 4:10
it's not UI Browser. exactly the same idea, but free and I think it comes in the Developer Tools – user44545 Mar 7 '13 at 5:02

Are you thinking of UIElementInspector ?

share|improve this answer
The version that comes bundled with Xcode is called Accessibility Inspector. – Chris Johnsen Mar 7 '13 at 8:46

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.