I removed the staff group and closed my finder window (yes I am a fool for doing this). After closing the window, I effectively lost access to everything on my "Macintosh HD". I re-booted and was happy to see my login screen, but after I login all I have is a grey screen and cursor.
- I rebooted holding Comand+R
- I chose "disc utility" and then "unlocked" Macintosh HD
- I opened Terminal and typed "password"
- I did not reset my password, but clicked "repair permissions and ACL's"
- I quit terminal (using Command+Q) and did the same for "reset password utility"
- I rebooted and got back to the login screen, but have the same problem
I have a retina Macbook Pro (10.8.2); recovery is 10.8.1. I can access and see my files when I click "open from the recovery mode option", and I know my password, I just need to know how I can reset permissions. Re-formatting is an options, but I don't have any extra hard drives with me, and my main drive is nearly full, so I can't move things around.