Take the 2-minute tour ×
Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How can I input commands such as <Ctrl-W> and <Ctrl-]> in vim using Cmd instead of Ctrl? The reason why I want to do it is because it's more comfortable. When I need to switch to a different split, for example, it's way more cumbersome to place my fingers on Ctrl than on Cmd. I'm sure many of you have also met with this problem, but I can't seem to find any resolutions online, other than "just use Ctrl".

share|improve this question
Suggest you broaden your question to "How can I remap the command key to Control key in OS X?" to broaden it, will cover many more cases and future searches. –  gosmond Feb 23 '13 at 23:35

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

There is an app called Keymando that I think can do this. Not sure if you can specify to do it only in Vim but you can specify to remap CTRL to CMD in Terminal.

When you've installed Keymando, put this in your config

only /Terminal/ do
    map "<Ctrl>", "<Cmd>"
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.