Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an iPhone 4S and I will be going to South Korea for a year for my 1st duty station in the army. What should I do? Can I get it unlocked or should I just by a phone over there? I need contact with my family.

share|improve this question
Which provider are you using in the States? – patrix Feb 11 '13 at 6:47
AT&T, I've heard about a SIM card I can put in it if I get unlocked? – Dayton simmons Feb 12 '13 at 0:22

Before buying a CDMA SIM in Korea, check that your iPhone 4s is

  1. a CDMA phone, and
  2. unlocked

Calling stateside from South Korea using a Korea-issued SIM card may be expensive. You should consider getting iOS apps (e.g. Skype, WhatsApp) that relies on WiFi or data plan to communicate.

share|improve this answer
Well yeah I know but it'll mostly be used for me to text my people here in the US – Dayton simmons Feb 12 '13 at 0:23

Call AT&T and have them unlock your phone. You're eligible for this process. Check out this link for more info. You qualify for the normal unlocking procedure, but you may also qualify for the military phone unlock as well. Double up for double power!

Buy a Koren Microsim Card of your choice from a cell service provider.

Use Skype, Facetime, Vyber, Whatsapp, or any of the other apps available on the market to have free international calling/text, as international calls with most providers are prohibitively expensive.

If you have a good data connection, you can send free iMessages to friends who own Apple products internationally.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.