Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to install Windows 8 on my MacBook. So I am hoping to install VMware and then install Windows 8 on top of it.

I need to know if I need to install VMware Player or VMware Fusion? I am using this for non-commercial use so I require a free version.

Note: VMware Fusion is a licensed version, and I don't want to use it.

share|improve this question
up vote 11 down vote accepted

VMware Player is only avaiable for Windows and Linux, not OS X. To install Windows 8 on your Mac, you will need to purchase VMware Fusion.

From VMware Workstation Player (formerly known as Player Pro):

VMware Player is the easiest way to run multiple operating systems at the same time on your PC.

You do have a couple of free options:

  • Virtualbox is a free program that will allow you to install Windows 8 alongside OS X in the same way that VMware Fusion works (you can run both OSs concurrently).
  • Apple's own Boot Camp software will allow you to install Windows in a separate partition. The downside to this is you have to reboot your computer to switch between OSs, but the upside is that you can run more graphically-intense programs (i.e. games) at native speeds.
share|improve this answer
Correction: VMWare is NOT a Windows-only application. It also supports Linux. – xuhdev Jul 4 '14 at 8:24
Nice, has it always supported Linux or is that fairly recent? Updated my answer to reflect that, thanks! – Scottie Jul 4 '14 at 9:23
According to my experience, it has the same functionality as the Windows version. – xuhdev Jul 4 '14 at 18:32
At least it was available since version 2.0. – xuhdev Jul 4 '14 at 20:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.