I bought an external Samsung hard drive today. But I'm not able to do anything with it. Here are the problems I'm having:
- I can't put anything on the hard drive. Finder gets stuck at 'preparing copying files'
- I can delete anything on the hard drive system files, except the folder ".Trashes". It gives error 'Unexpected error: -50'
- I tried to empty the trash can, but nothing changes.
- I set the file permission on the .Trashes to read/write everyone, doesn't change a thing
- Trying to format the whole drive with Disk Utility, but quits at start, because the drive cannot be deactivated.
I've tried a few terminal commands
sudo -s -r rf /Volumes/Untitled\ 1/.Trashes` //Directory not empty -r rf /Volumes/Untitled\ 1/.Trashes` //No permissions
cd /Volumes ls -al cd name_of_partition ls -al rm -rf .Trashes
Again: Permission error.
- I can't change drive permissions via Disk Utility, via the button 'recover drive permissions', because it is 'blank'
One thing that really bothers me: I really want to format the partition, but every time it says 'Disk cannot be deactivated', when trying to recover, wipe or format.
I really can't figure out how to delete .Trashes, format the drive or get the damn thing working.