Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When I change my input source to US Keyboard and I want to press this key: ` I get some British key.

My keyboard is this one:

enter image description here

And it behaves like this one:

enter image description here

I changed my keyboard layout like described in this: stackexchange post but there is nothing changed. When I press the ` key I get that symbol as on British keyboard.

In result it looks like this:

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Is that your keyboard layout in the picture? You can determine your actual layout using this page: – Gerry Dec 12 '12 at 9:20
What do you get when you press Shift + 3? If it is #, then you are just getting the ISO (European or International) version of the American (ANSI) US keyboard layout, and it means your machine has mistaken the "keyboard type". – Tom Gewecke Dec 12 '12 at 13:46
PS Go to system preferences/language & text/input sources an check the box for Show Input Menu in Menu Bar. Then look at the top right of your screen and tell us what flag you see. If it is the US flag with PC at the bottom, switch it to just plain US flag. – Tom Gewecke Dec 12 '12 at 14:00
@alex Where did you get this machine? The keyboard is not right. The key next to the z should not have < > on it, which you see are duplicated on comma and period. – Tom Gewecke Dec 12 '12 at 19:58
@alex As far as I know, there is no country which uses a keyboard like that. I think someone replaced some of the keys with different ones. It should have keys like those in the picture you first posted about how it behaves. The key to the right of "/' also looks wrong. – Tom Gewecke Dec 12 '12 at 21:08
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I think your keyboard has been modified and is non-standard. If for some reason you want what is printed on the keys to match up with what is typed, you could make a custom keyboard layout using

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.