Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I don't know how I got these shortcuts on Finder's bar (look on the right). These shortcuts are on every Finder windows. How to remove them ? What's those shortcut called ?

This picture is worth more than any description. enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted
  1. Press the command key .
  2. Drag the item away from the toolbar.

This behavior is generic for other OS X Apps. (Finder, Safari, Pages,...)

share|improve this answer
Thanks you have the simplest answer. – Raymond Chenon Dec 11 '12 at 15:32
What are these items called ? – Raymond Chenon Dec 11 '12 at 15:33
@raychenon Apple refers to them simply as 'items': see this picture – gentmatt Dec 11 '12 at 15:38

Secondary-click them (two-finger tap if you've got it configured, otherwise control+click), then select "Remove item".

share|improve this answer

Right click on the toolbar, select "Customize Toolbar...", then drag them out.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.