Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For some teaching efforts, especially running through tutorials, I'd like to zoom in on parts of my screen to show a room-full of people small text from the projected screen. Is there an OSX utility that will magnify sections of the screen as I move my cursor over it? I know about OmniDazzle but the magnifier is somewhat clunky.

share|improve this question
You could also press control and scroll which will zoom in the whole screen. – str Dec 9 '12 at 11:10
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Go to System Preferences, then Accessibility. There will be a column on the left for Zoom, which you can use a keyboard shortcut to activate.

share|improve this answer

You don't say which version of osx you are using, in 10.8.2 go to system preferences, accessibility, zoom, then under zoom style select picture-in-picture. The zoom box will follow your cursor. Older versions had this option not sure of the steps for other versions.

share|improve this answer
I'm on 10.8.2. Thanks for the suggestion. – Maiasaura Dec 9 '12 at 21:05
your welcome glad it helped – rclyde Dec 10 '12 at 1:22

There are at least one other, but ZoomItTapp is the one that most reviews recommend. I use it with a 40 inch 4k display. Awesome!

share|improve this answer

Digital Color Meter can do that but unfortunately AFAIK its window is not resizable.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.