I like keyboard navigation, so I frequently use Shift-Command-G to Go to Folder… when saving files. I type the first few letters of the directory I want then key Tab to complete the rest. This worked consistently on my old MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.
On my new one with Mountain Lion:
- tab completion works about half the time
- the other half, keying Tab is ineffective.
I've observed this with Finder, and with Save dialogs in TextEdit and Firefox. I've carefully verified the spellings, and paths to the directories.
I've also seen it go from not working to working without my doing anything noteworthy in between (didn't reboot, quit and restart the program, or quit any other programs).
- The asynchronous progress indicator is not spinning while this happens.
- This is not an issue only with ambiguous tab completions (when there's an ambiguous stem, it usually just autocompletes with the first match alphabetically.
- This does not involve files on an external drive.
- If I type in the full name of the directory I'm trying to autocomplete, the "Go to Folder" dialog will not go there (it acts as if I typed in a nonexistent folder name). However, I can still navigate there manually using the save dialog.
- Nothing appears in the Console or the system error log at times when this error occurs.
- At Graham Perrin's advice, I ran
mddiagnostic, but I have no idea how to interpret the output beyond the system error log I already examined.