Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a way to type a tab space to text within a webpage? (without copy pasting a tab)

The normal behaviour of the tab key in an internet browser is cycling between input fields, buttons links etc but now with online document edotors (like Google Docs), how can a user add a tab to a document?

share|improve this question

Normally option-tab would do that, but it doesn't work in web views. As a workaround, you could create ~/Library/KeyBindings/ and save a property list like this as DefaultKeyBinding.dict.

    "~t" = insertTabIgnoringFieldEditor:; /* option-t */
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.