Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm in need of a translator for ⌥ ⇞

This screen shot below is from the TexStudio and Texmaker latex editors.

screen capture of two glyphs

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

- Is the Option key, also called Alt.

- It's called Upwards Arrow with Double Stroke, and usually represents page up. If your keyboard lacks that specific key, doing Fn+ does the trick.

share|improve this answer
Thanks! This really did the trick. – perr0 Nov 8 '12 at 14:48
I can't understand why Apple's keyboards print the command symbol on the Command key, but don't print the option/alt and control symbols on their respective keys. – daGUY Dec 3 '12 at 22:07

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.