I've found plenty of (old) blogs and articles stating that it is/will be possible to mirror the content of a Mac or PC in an Apple TV, but I was unable to find out the current state of this feature.
Official Apple TV 2 store page states that you can "stream from your Mac or PC to the big screen. Enjoy your photos, home videos, and music collection on your HDTV from your Mac or PC over Wi-Fi", but it doesn't say if it's via iTunes, and it seems that it's not talking about Airplay either.
So, for this to be clear, I have some questions:
- Is it possible to mirror the content of your screen in an Apple TV?
- Is this Airplay?
- Does it have limitations of the type of media that you are playing? For example, heavy games in full screen, downloaded videos with subtitles (not from iTunes!), high resolution videos, etc.
- Is the quality exactly the same of connecting the MacBook to the TV via HDMI?
- Do I need a router for this or will it create a wi-fi network between the notebook and the Apple TV?
- What are the minimum requirements for:
- the Apple TV (probably ATV2 only);
- MacBook (which versions are capable of doing this);
- PC (are there any requirements for PC?);
- Mac OS (version);
Please note that I do not wish any information about what a jailbroken device can do.