Running on Mac OS X 10.7.4, issues list this seem to be riddled in Google searches but nothing like my issue, which persists even when I take all the steps. My story...
- Brought up Dashboard today and it would show but was locked up (e.g. unable to write in stickies, etc...).
- Brought up the "Activity Monitor" and saw one of two Dashboard processes was at 100% CPU usage. Tried killing both of them; they immediately restart with one at 100% CPU usage.
- Jump down to Terminal and try killing the processes in the shell via "kill". Same thing.
Read it may be the .plist files so I remove:
- As soon as I bring up the Dashboard, it shows the outline of the 4 default widgets and they are locked up. CPU Usage is again at 100%.
UPDATE 10/1/12 morning
- Went to Genius Bar yesterday; genius solution: "Just don't use Dashboard; I never found it that useful." Really?! Okay no help there.
- Today iCal also is completely locking up on me... 100% hang! No, sadness!
Took a snapshot with "Activity Monitor" and this was suspect:
45 icu::TimeZone::getOffset(double, signed char, int&, int&, UErrorCode&) const (in libicucore.A.dylib) + 157 [0x7fff8f6c109d] ??? (in libicucore.A.dylib) load address 0x7fff8f6bc000 + 0xe1739 [0x7fff8f79d739] ??? (in libicucore.A.dylib) load address 0x7fff8f6bc000 + 0xe1776 [0x7fff8f79d776] ??? (in libicucore.A.dylib) load address 0x7fff8f6bc000 + 0xe17bb [0x7fff8f79d7bb] etc...
Throughout the process, it looks like whenever a
TimeZone::getOffsetcall is made, it’s unable to load the dynamic library
I've learned that attempting to replace libicucore with a previous version will cause the Mac not to boot! Thank goodness for Cmd+R and terminal in the recovery tools. (I copied the original
libicucore.A.dylibback and I can boot again, but still iCal and Dashboard hang.)
UPDATE 10/1/12 evening
- Just got off a great tech support call with Apple. We couldn't solve the issue but narrowed it down. (Things that didn't work: PR-RAM, Safe Mode, deleting
- Creating a 2nd user account on Mac showed iCal to work fine for that user. Something user based is the issue.
Fresh ideas anyone?