Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm using a 2012 Retina Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.7.5. I am a Windows power user and a OS X neophyte. While many of the keyboard and mouse shortcuts I am familiar with in Windows have functional equivalents in OS X. A feature that I find particularly useful in Windows is the ability to middle click to close tabs (works across the OS Firefox, Chrome, Visual Studio etc.). This saves a user from having to click explicitly on a tabs X icon. Is there a functional magic trackpad click equivalent to middle clicking a Windows mouse?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The middle click to close tab functionality isn't really a common OS X UI pattern. The standard keyboard shortcut for closing a tab is command ⌘W (which will also close non-tabbed windows, or windows with only one open tab).

If you really want a Magic Trackpad gesture for closing tabs, you could use BetterTouchTool to map a gesture to ⌘W, but it would still be a bit limited, in that it would only close the currently active tab. I suppose you could use a combination of programs to make a macro that would perform a click to switch to the tab under your mouse, then close it, but it's still a bit hacky.

share|improve this answer
I was aware of the keyboard command but was hoping for a trackpad equivalent, but thanks for the tip on BetterTouchTool. – ahsteele Sep 26 '12 at 4:14

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.