TLDR: When downgrading from iOS6 to 5.1.1, even with a standard
.ipsw file and modified
.hosts file (or TinyUmbrella), I get the error
3194 in iTunes. Help?
I recently purchased a used iPhone 4S which is locked to Verizon. This is a problem, as I'm in Canada, and the international Verizon plans are expensive. I need to unlock.
The second problem is that the phone came with iOS6 installed on it. Although I was told that it was a beta, I was also told it was official (Grand Master build), and in any case, I managed to (somehow) wipe out and reinstall the official iOS 6 from iTunes.
Since I don't have the original OS, I downloaded 5.1.1 4S from Redmond Pie. Unsure if this was the stock iOS, I downloaded it (again) from another source, and the two binaries are the same -- leading me to believe that this is an original iOS 5.1.1 image.
Steps I took to install iOS 5.1.1:
- Close iTunes
- Turn off the phone
- Edit the
.hostsfile (to add the Cydia IP, or remove it, or launch TinyUmbrella)
- Save changes (if applicable)
- Open up iTunes
- Boot my phone in recovery mode (shows a "plug in to iTunes" graphic)
- Let iTunes figure out my phone is in recovery mode
- Shift-Click "recover" and select the image
- Watch until it reaches the step about verifying the
ipswfile is from Apple
- Observe an error
To spell out my permutations explicitly, for step #4, I have tried:
- Adding the IP for Cydia
- Commenting out the IP for Cydia
- Removing the IP for Cydia
- Running Umbrella 6.00.0000 and 6.00.0001
I'm not sure what to do next to downgrade.