Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been calling it the "keyboard dismissal button," but I'd like to know if it has an actual name.

keyboard dismissal button

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Turn on voice over in accessibility and when you click it it will speak what it is called.

It's called "hide keyboard" using voiceover, but it could be called something different within apple, because what voiceover reads could be a label set just for voiceover.

share|improve this answer
Aha, I totally forgot that I could have used VoiceOver. That works for me, thanks! – Khakionion Sep 23 '12 at 0:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.