I'm trying to configure a lab of OS X workstations to print to a Ricoh Aficio MP C5000. The Aficio is configured to require user authentication (a 4-digit passcode) in order to print.
In Mac OS X System Preferences, I've created a printer (LPD connection to the Aficio's IP address). When I print to it, OS X thinks the print job has completed successfully.
The job shows up on the Aficio, but immediately has status "Cancelled", with the error log message "You do not have a privilege to use this function. This job has been cancelled".
How can I tell OS X to authenticate before sending the print job? (I don't see any field for entering the passcode in the OS X printer settings.)
I've already tried:
- Setting the "User ID" under "Job Log" in the Mac print dialog.
- Setting the "User Code" under "Job Log" in the Mac print dialog.
- Setting it up as a Windows printer but OS X is unable to connect to the Aficio using this protocol.
- Using the Gutenprint driver but that makes no difference.
- Using IPP instead of LPD, but that makes no difference.
- All of the above on both Lion and Mountain Lion; neither works.