I have an office environment with 2 iMac's. We are using an Windows 2008 R2 server in workgroup mode for simple file sharing, DNS requests, and to run an application that requires Windows. I am trying to use Apple Remote Desktop 3.6 (470.93) from iMac1 to connect to second (iMac2).
When I enter an IP address for the second iMac and leave the DNS Name blank it will save the connection but upon trying to connect via the "control" option ARD fails to find the target system. If I enter just the DNS name (as indicated on target iMac under sharing and not the IP address, ARD save the connection with the DNS but without the IP address and it fails. iMac1 is running OS X 10.7.4 and iMac2 is running OS X 10.6.8 and ARD 3.5.3.:
- I have verified that both machines have REMOTE Management enabled under sharing in preferences.
- We have both forward and reverse lookup zones on the server and I have verified that they are working properly.
- I have determined that our hardware firewall is not an issue as well.
- Both machines are on LAN and I can ping either machine from Windows server
- Both iMac's are physically cabled via ethernet
- Both machines are on same subnets
- Ethernet switch has been power cycled
- Both iMac's have been rebooted
iMac1 was as some point in the past able to connect to iMac2 with no issues according to internal users with this configuration. Looking for suggestions for possible place to continue to trouble shoot. I can also provide additional information as requested.