- I'm not an idiot, caps lock is off, num lock is off, I am using the correct password.
- When I type in an incorrect password, the screen shakes as it's supposed to.
- When I type in the correct password, the screen changes as if it is about to log me in, but goes straight back to the login screen in a second or two.
- I have gone into single user mode and created a brand new admin account. Same thing, doesn't log in.
- Safe mode does not work either.
- Guest account is the only thing that actually works.
I've been a PC user for almost 8 years, so I am relatively new to this whole Mac thing. The problem I am getting does not appear to be a very common issue, as I can only find a few threads on Google that relates to this.
Last resort would be to reformat the computer -- I really want to avoid this option since 1. I have not backed up any files, and 2. This is my best friend's Mac, which he lent to me while he is spending a year overseas.
On a sidenote: The iMac fell on its side yesterday (yikes!), but since the Mac boots up and goes to the login screen, I doubt I have damaged the hard drive. However, since I am new to this whole Mac thing, I'm not 100% sure if the fall was the culprit of this issue. Anyone care to chime in?
edit: Thanks for the replies. I booted the iMac with the Recovery Disk, and I tried re-installing the OS. The HD in which OSX was installed in does not show up -- so I tried deleting the partition. However, it gives me an error that says "Volume Erase Failed - Couldn't open disk." Does this mean my hard drive is done?