Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've seen this answer, but on my Italian keyboard I've got < between Z and Left Shift instead of the ~. So, how can I type it?

share|improve this question
Is there anything wrong with fn + n? – Gerry Aug 16 '12 at 14:06
@Gerry it's not the same tilde – Nicola Peluchetti Aug 16 '12 at 14:07
try option and 5 – David DelMonte Aug 16 '12 at 14:14
Despite a keyboard combination, if you don't want to use it by its own, you could still use the Character picker. Just press and hold the N, for instance, and a pop-Up will show, giving you the option of choosing the Ñ letter. – Thecafremo Aug 16 '12 at 14:22
@Thecafremo But he doesn't want Ñ, he wants ~, and Character Picker is useless for doing that. – Tom Gewecke Feb 10 at 16:01

Option ⌥ + 5

You can show the keyboard viewer from the input menu if it's enabled.

share|improve this answer

Using an Italian Keyboard.

The option + N will Also give you a Small Tilde ˜ as apposed to ~

share|improve this answer
This small tilde is normally used to accent over the other letters. If you Option + N and then for example o you will get õ Not entering another compatible character while the small tilde is highlighted and moving on will leave you with ˜ – markhunte Jan 16 '14 at 18:34
Totally fails to answer the question, tells you how to make the wrong tilde, should be deleted. – Tom Gewecke Feb 10 at 13:16

With the italian keyboard you can use alt + 5

share|improve this answer

It is left Alt + ^ which will give you tilda sign over Swedish Mac keyboard.

share|improve this answer
The question is for the Italian keyboard, not Swedish – klanomath Feb 10 at 10:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.