Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As per title, I'm using a external NTFS hard disk for storage (guess it doesn't matter the type, but I can give more informations if needed). It happen many times, however, that I receive Finder error -50

The operation could not be completed.
An unexpected error occurred (error code -50).

when trying to remove files (it also happen when move files from the external hd to the local one, dragging and dropping with cmd pressed).
I read on the web that it may be related to illegal characters in files' names, however it seems to happen also for files that have nothing "strange" in the name (i.e. asdf.txt).

Besides, when the popup appears, the file gets deleted even if I cancel the operation.

I'm using MacOS 10.7.4 and Paragon NTFS 9.0.1 for enabling NTFS read/write.

Any idea of what may be the error?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

As you might expect, it is an error copying between disparate file systems. This is a link to a very old Apple Support Document. It does however, give you the shell script to handle the copy/delete from terminal.

Another possible solution is this app: Tuxera instead of Paragon.

share|improve this answer
The Apple document is not very helpful, since it just suggests to copy the files, while the problem arises when I try to to remove them (also when I move them, since moving includes a remove step). I will try Tuxera. – Saphrosit Aug 11 '12 at 9:39
Yes, I think Tuxera a better option. You could substitute "rm" for "cp" but you'd really, really need to be careful, as you can delete more than you wanted. – David DelMonte Aug 11 '12 at 10:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.