Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been using the Japanese keyboard layout for a while, but only recently I have noticed there are two options for the software keyboard layout, namely "Kana" and "Flick only". Can anybody tell me what the difference is, since they look and behave identical, as far as I can tell.

This is on a 1st generation iPad running iOS 5.1.1.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It's like this: With the "Kana" setting, you can reach the different kana of one group by either "flicking" in different directions, or by repeatedly tapping one kana. With the "flick only" setting, only the flicking works, not the tapping.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.