Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a Mac program resembling the Windows program 'Fences' (see screenshot below), which allows you to group icons on your screen?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Similar question answered on… – Lars Rohrbach Jun 23 '12 at 23:31
@Lars: Thanks for the link - one of the items mentioned, Drag Thing, looks very similar to Fences. – dsteele Jun 24 '12 at 16:58
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Desktop Groups (Which I would describe as the best alternative to fences) is made by the same people who make Desktop Shelves. The product is paid, but the Lite version of Desktop Groups is free.

A good review of its features can found here courtesy of Fatima Wahib who reviewed it for Addictive Tips last month:

share|improve this answer

I'm not sure its exactly what you need, but how about something like DesktopShelves (there's also a free version)?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.