Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Windows and Ubuntu one can move the cursor to the end of the next word in text by pressing ctrl+ left or ctrl+right.

What's the equivalent of this on the Mac?

share|improve this question
Command+left and Command+right brings you to the end or beginning of a line - something that I find really useful as well. – bassplayer7 Jun 19 '12 at 11:58
...something accomplished with Home and End on PCs. – josh3736 Jun 19 '12 at 14:40
up vote 16 down vote accepted

option + left and option + right

share|improve this answer
... and why is it not listed in keyboard shortcuts ... – GEdgar Jun 19 '12 at 15:47
@GEdgar Gremlings. – Kit Sunde Jun 19 '12 at 17:15
it's a global thing like the enter or shift keys… goes without saying – AMomchilov Jun 19 '12 at 23:00
it doesn't "go without saying" since it had to be said. I too wanted to know this. – Chase Florell Jun 19 '12 at 23:53
Weird/relevant: on older version of Microsoft Word, it used to be command instead of option. Took them forever to get in line with the rest of Mac OS. – NReilingh Jul 8 '12 at 6:08

This is a late return from an outlying precinct on this question, but on my 2014 MacBook Pro using Word 2011, I stumbled on to how to move to the beginning and the end using "fn" + option + Left arrow, and Rt arrow respectively.

These combinations also work for the Word for Mac Preview v 15.8.

share|improve this answer

It's really quite simple: just us Command + right or left.

share|improve this answer
That somehow contradicts the already accepted answer – patrix Jul 12 '13 at 12:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.