Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a 23" Apple Cinema HD Display, and it has a couple of dead or stuck pixels (don't really know the difference). I am wondering if there is some way to fix these pixels, like some kind of software/app?

share|improve this question
Dead means it's black, stuck means it's any other color. – timothymh Jun 15 '12 at 17:26
If it's under warranty, your best bet is to take it back to the Apple Store to have it checked out. The techs/geniuses there have been pretty good with taking care of customers from my personal experience. – JW8 Jun 15 '12 at 17:41
Dead means off. Black is a color in LCD land. – Jason Salaz Jun 18 '12 at 21:33
@Stephen Let me know if my revised answer helps you out. The answer I posted before was incorrect. – de_an777 Jun 26 '12 at 15:41

You can sometimes fix stuck pixels by running something like this:

Hit the fix my screen button and it can attempt to unstick the pixel. If that doesn't work then the best things that you can do is to make an appointment at your local Apple Store Genius Bar:

and have the Geniuses look at it. If it is under warranty still and it falls with in Apple's Guidelines for Pixel/Screen Replacement, they can replace the screen for you for free.

If it isn't under warranty there will be a parts and labor charge, but they will let you know this up front and you can decide if you want to go through with it. That is one of the great things about Apple, free diagnostics even if you don't go through with the repair. So technically you don't have anything to lose. (Except your time, technically)

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.