Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a MacBook Pro computer and I will be traveling abroad to Hong Kong for studies. The electric sockets and voltage are different than here in the US so I would have to use a converter but it is a big hassle carrying around a power converter everywhere I go... I'm hoping to find another solution. If I purchase a HK MacBook Pro power cord will it work with my computer which I purchased in the US?

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Yes, the MagSafe power adapters support dual voltage (100-240V).

According to the specs on Amazon for the 85W version:

Input: AC 100V~240V 50/60Hz

So long as the local input provides power in that range, you'll be able to get a local MagSafe compatible cord and your US MBP will be fine.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.