Safari suddenly can't connect to any HTTPS site because it "can't establish a secure connection".
This is on an administrator account, not a managed account.
A different administrator account is able to use Safari with HTTPS, so must be something specific to my account, but I have no idea what.
Google Chrome has no problems connecting to HTTPS sites.
Things I have tried:
- emptied Safari's cache
- deleted Safari's preferences
- reset Safari entirely
- repaired Keychain (no errors found)
- deleted Keychain (didn't help)
- repaired permissions in Disk Utility
- hoped it would suddenly fix itself
All of the google results I saw suggested either repairing the Keychain (which I tried and which did not help) or were only applicable if there were "Parental Controls" involved, which doesn't apply here.
If I had to guess, I would think that wherever Safari is checking for "certificates" is somehow corrupted, but I could be wrong. I'm not even sure where to look for those - maybe