I have three 2009-era Xserves that I need to assemble into a compute cluster/render farm for Blender. The Xserves do not have any operating system on them. What OS should I use for best results with Blender? Do I need OS X Server or can I get away with the client version or even Linux?
I've never assembled a cluster, nor do I have any server experience to draw from.
- 3 Xserves (specifically, the
- 5 CPU (20 cores total): 2.26 GHz quad core Intel Xeon 5500 series “Nehalem” processors (two CPUs each on two Xserves)
- 6 GB RAM on one of the dual CPU servers, 3 GB RAM on the remaining two Xserve
- no Fiber Cards or Raid cards to complicate driver selection
- no PCI cards
- each server has a built-in NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with a mini DisplayPort output and 256 MB of video RAM