Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I wonder if there is a good way to memorize the Option key . I almost always think of it as the Shift key, because it looks like a lower level and a higher level (the small hyphen elevated).

Or maybe a way to memorize it better is, what is the shape of this symbol for? I mean, what does it represent symbol wise?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

Weird/cool question!

I think I went through a similar thought process at one point: the way I think of it is like a set of train tracks. The train enters at the left and reaches a fork or split, giving it the option of the upper or lower path to the right. In the glyph, the tracks are set for the lower option.

Shift does have its own glyph: , which can be remembered as pushing the case of the typed letter up.

share|improve this answer
so yours is the up and down option, and Daniel's is a left and right option. that's pretty good when I see the symbol, the image of a train track switching can appear. hm... now I get it... maybe it meant when it was invented that instead of a straight line from left to right, it has the option of going to item 2... so it doesn't have to go straight line to item 1 – 太極者無極而生 May 26 '12 at 4:57
Option is also more traditionally know as the Alt key, so expanding this answer out a bit further, the icon denotes alternate tracks. – Jason Salaz May 26 '12 at 8:13

It's been suggested that the origin of the option key symbol lies in the symbols used in electrical diagrams to indicate a switch [1,2], allowing the electrical current to either go through the bottom or top route:

SPDT switch

See also the section switches on the Wikipedia article “Electronic symbol”.

I remember reading that this isn't just a suggestion, but is the actual origin of the symbol but I can't find an authoritative source on that at the moment.

share|improve this answer

There is a slash, so you have the option of the side with the hyphen and the side without.

share|improve this answer

The easiest way is this:

There is only one key on the entire bottom row of the keyboard with two items stacked on top of each other -- just like the in question. I think this is a much simpler visual-mental association to remember.

share|improve this answer
Unless you have the Apple Wireless Keyboard, or a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro -- of the current Macs (in America), this is only true for the Mac Pro default (USB) keyboard. – Ken May 29 '12 at 2:30

All of the European Apple keyboards show, on the keys themselves, the icon for not just option, but shift, caps lock, command, tab, delete, and return. Check out the different languages they have available.

The Japanese Apple keyboards, like the American ones, don't have any of these icons, so they can commiserate with us.

I really have no clue why they don't do this for the American (and Japanese) keyboards, since it's so ridiculously useful.

The good news is that they seem to sell these keyboards in America now, and "standard shipping" is free, so if you can deal with some of the keys being slightly different (like "return" being double-tall), you can order yourself a nice new Belgian keyboard and sell your old American keyboard on craigslist!

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.