Ask Different is a question and answer site for power users of Apple hardware and software. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there such a built-in shortcut for doing such action pairs? (e.g. accept+move to next, using a single shortcut)

If not, how can I define such a custom shortcut?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

This is actually quite easy to do, once you know where to look. (Unfortunately for me I didn't know about this until my thesis was done. Not that I'm bitter or anything.)

1) In MSWord, go to the Tools Menu and then choose "Customize Keyboard"

enter image description here

2) Under "Categories" choose "All Commands" and then look for "AcceptChangesAndAdvance". Select it, then click in the box next to "Press new keyboard shortcut" as shown here:

enter image description here

3) Enter an unused keyboard combination (I chose ⌘ + ⌥ + Y for "Yes I want this change"). Note that the "Assign" button is now activated. Use it. Then click "OK".

enter image description here

That should be all you need to do.

share|improve this answer

There are good help pages direct in the application or online.

Word keyboard shortcuts

There are some for reviewing documents, but not for what you search.

But you should create your own: Create or delete a keyboard shortcut

share|improve this answer
I'm asking specifically about accepting tracked changes - those don't seem to be trivial to set up – GJ. Jun 25 '12 at 19:38
  1. Save the document as Word 98/2000 .doc format
  2. Open in Word 98
  3. Tools/track changes/accept or reject changes
  4. Find next
  5. Either click accept or reject, which will do so and automatically find next, or "find next" which will leave the tracked change and find next
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.