Is it possible to install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard in VirtualBox on an iMac (i3) running OS X 10.6.8? I have the 10.6 install CD, DMG, and ISO, but can't get any of them to boot from VirtualBox.
These instructions are for VirtualBox on Windows and Linux but they work well on OS X as well. Taken from here -- abridged and modified for OS X guest OS:
I have a SL 10.6.8 VBox running as we speak. It works perfectly, if a bit slowly. I'm about to abandon it for reasons totally unrelated to VirtualBox, but let's see if I can remember everything I did to get it running:
1) Like the other answer said, start with a rip of an original SL DVD. Mine was 10.6.0.
2) Also like the other answer, create the new VM, select Mac OS X Server (even if you're not using Server), assign >= 1GB of RAM (I'd give it at least 2GB if you can spare it), and mount your ripped DVD.
3) Don't start the machine.
4) Open up the machine settings and make sure all of the following are set:
System > Motherboard > Chipset: ICH9
System > Motherboard > Extended Features > Enable IO APIC (checked)
System > Motherboard > Extended Features > Enable EFI (checked)
System > Processor > Enable PAE/NX (checked)
System > Acceleration > Enable VT-x/AMD-V (checked)
System > Acceleration > Enable Nested Paging (checked)
Storage > Here make sure the hard disk is attached to a SATA Controller of type AHCI.
Network > Adapter 1 (or any other) > Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)
Ports > Serial Ports > Enable Serial Port (uncheck this)
Ports > USB > Enable USB Controller (checked)
Ports > USB > Enable USB 2.0 (checked)
5) Start the machine and you should see the verbose boot mode (no gray Apple screen).
6) Proceed with OS X install.
This is exactly what I did and have running now. Updated 10.6.0 to 10.6.8 using standard Software Update. No patches, kexts or other hacks required.
My System: iMac 21.5" Late 2009 (3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 16GB RAM)
VirtualBox version: 4.1.12 r77245 with extensions installed.
I tried updating VirtualBox to 4.1.14, but that broke this VM somehow. Never quite figured out why, but that kept me from updating. Haven't tried 4.1.16 yet. If you can't it to install on the current version with these settings, maybe this is why?
Hope that helps!