I had an unfortunate incident with boot camp assistant last night. I was trying to get hold of the windows drivers as an iso and when it asked me where to save to, I just selected my account folder in /users. Imagine my horror when it says it is formatting. No idea why it tries to format a directory, but needless to say it has made a mess.
I now can't login with this account, I get the login prompt and it accepts my pw but after sitting there a while the spinner remains but I get a no entry sign and it just sits there spinning.
Is there anyway I can try and retrieve what was left of my user data?
- I have tried to repair the disk. It fails.
- I can login as guest fine, but don't think I can get to my files here?
- recovery partition boots up fine.
- machine has FileVault running.
- reset password doesn't show the disk, although disk until can see it.
- safe mode boot to main account doesn't help.
- I don't have any other user accounts to try.
I think the os is probably ok, but obviously major prob with my profile. Can I mount the machine as a remote disk on my other mac for instance?
Any help much appreciated as my last time machine backup is pretty stale. (been away)