The important stuff:
- My Mac got stolen in a public library (unsecure Wifi).
- All I have is the MAC address and the serial number.
- Can I use another laptop to get onto that network and list out the machines and lookup their MAC addresses? (Let's just assume that he/she dares to return to the library and uses the laptop).
Less important stuff:
- The laptop was password protected and I think the thief would have had to do clean install of the OS to use it.
- It did not have any post-theft-recovery software or iCloud or MobileMe configured on it.
- None of the internet applications have autologin configured so I cannot track the use of the laptop through them.